Effects of industrial park going in next to 9 acres with 1 duplex

2 Replies

Hello BiggerPockets!

I am looking at house hacking in a duplex that sits on 9 acres. The property will cashflow, its no home run, but it will produce income with the future chance of building more units on site! The kicker is there is an industrial park going in within the next 5 years that butts up to the whole 9 acres. Will this have a negative or positive effect on multi family properties? No idea if it will be manufacturing, distribution, or other. 

Thank you for your help BiggerPockets Nation! 

@Joshua Strong It's hard to say without knowing exactly what's going in there.

I'd talk to the town zoning board to see if they can give you any insight - but remember that they can change the rules at any time.

That said, I'd expect that anything that create more traffic (especially loud traffic like tractor trailers), noise, odors, air pollution, etc will drive down property values.  

It would certainly make your property harder to sell when that time comes.

I think the real opportunity may be selling your 9 acres to the developers.

There is a duplex next to a sysco food plant in Baraboo that is less than a block away from the employee entrance.  Workers love it since they can walk from home which is less distance than some of the drivers park their car.  So the key is targeting the employees who work there.

I would say it's a wash for the plus and cons.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.