Accidental landlord not cash flowing

2 Replies

Hello I am an accidental landlord need advice on how to proceed. I bought a house as a primary residence and rented a room to a friend. Ended up moving into my girlfriend's place and had a friend of the previous friend also move in. I am collecting 900 dollars a month which I originally thought was great. They are paying the majority of my mortgage/tax/insurance (1,056 a month). Now after finding BP I realize I am negative cash flowing. Market research has shown I could possibly rent for about 1400-1500 a month, I bought the property for 111,000 now worth conservative 140,000. My question is now should I sell the property and try to find a property closer to the 2% rule, or find tenants that could afford the average market rate? Thanks, Derek.

@Derek Markowicz

Remember the 2% rule is only a guide and does not work in all markets.  You should look at the numbers based on the 50% rule/guide and 1% is more typical.  This is a numbers game based on comps.   There are advantages to selling if you still meet the criteria of living in the house with x's number of years in the past 5 years.  I would look at raising the rent, if that makes your numbers work.   Run the numbers as if you were to sell the house as well.   The spring time is a better time to find new tenants than winter.

Outside of rough neighborhood you probably aren't finding something that meets the 2% rule.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here