Cash out refi question

1 Reply

Hey all,

I've looked around a bit for this, but nothing quite answers my exact question. I'd like to do a cash out refinance on my primary residence for 2 reasons: 1) to free up equity to buy another property and 2) to remove PMI on my loan

I have $535,000 left on my balance and I'm hoping my house will appraise to at least $675,000 which would put me just below the required 80% LTV mark, so I can refinance without cashing out and also get rid of the PMI.

Questions:

1) Would I be able to cash out $100k of the equity? Or can I only cash out whatever the amount is that would take me to 85% LTV; I have an FHA loan, so 85% is the limit, but I'm not sure if that means you have to be below that limit before you can cash out, or not.

2) If I can cash out $100k which would put me above 80% LTV, would I have to keep PMI?

3) Do HELOC loans have similar restraints on LTV?

Thanks all!

You might be better of refinancing to remove PMI then get a HELOC. Some banks offer 85-90% LTV it wont be 100k but good enough line.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here