Benefits and difficulties of both...please share insight on time to close, ability to negotiate price, ability to obtain financing, pros and cons and any experience that may help. Thanks
There is more to it, but here is what comes to my mind quickly
- Possibly larger discount relative to market value.
I don’t think that there is anything that beats foreclosure in terms of the potential for discount on purchase price relative to market value.
- Very quick sale.
- Less competition compared to MLS or short deals because of strict terms of the foreclosures (being physically present, having the cash available, etc)
- You can lose ALL of money if you are unlucky and didn’t conduct some thorough due diligence.
So it is risky? Yes, very risky. If you don’t know what you are doing.
- Hard to find financing on those property, if possible at all.
- A very strict time frame to complete depending on the state where you are.
- A lot of time and effort wasted researching and conducting due diligence on properties that get adjourned every single time or never come up for sale.
- Evicting the current occupier of the property if not vacant possession
- Potential for good discount
- You can conduct your due diligence
- Clean title transfer
- Properties are usually in better shape than the foreclosed ones
- Very lengthy process. It can take several months to close on short sale because of the bureaucracy of the lender.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing