Where can I find owner-financed or rent-to-own homes in Delaware

5 Replies

Moderators - Please move to the correct forum if I have not posted this in the correct location. 

Hello All.  I recently relocated to Delaware and am looking for a primary residence.  I'm in the process of fixing my credit and eliminating my debt.  I'm trying to find rent-to-own or owner-financed properties for sale, but haven't had much luck.  I've tried the marketplace here on BP and some internet searches without any reliable results.  I'd like to establish myself in a new primary residence while also improving my financial situation so one of these properties would be ideal to streamline the process.  Does anyone know of a good place to look or how to find these types of properties?  Feel free to reply here or message me privately.  Thanks all.

@Robert Johnston welcome to DE.  Here are a couple ideas.....advertise on Craigslist what you are looking for and contact anyone listing a rent to own or even regular rentals, join the Delreia facebook page(lots of local investors) and create a post about what you are looking for, try forsalebyowner sites and see if anyone is interested, find listed homes that have been on the market over 6 months(especially if the pictures show they are vacant) and see if they would do it.

What areas are you looking?

@Eric Armstrong thanks!  I'll definitely expand my searches to the places you mentioned.  I thought about Craigslist, but wasn't sure if it was heavily used by investors or not.  Certainly worth a shot.

I work in downtown Wilmington on Delaware Avenue, so anywhere that's commutable really.  I've been looking in New Castle and Newark mostly in an effort to stay away from Southeastern PA.  I have family there and most areas aren't very nice.  I'm pretty open to anywhere within 20-30 minutes.  

Originally posted by @Robert Johnston :

@Eric Armstrong thanks!  I'll definitely expand my searches to the places you mentioned.  I thought about Craigslist, but wasn't sure if it was heavily used by investors or not.  Certainly worth a shot.

I work in downtown Wilmington on Delaware Avenue, so anywhere that's commutable really.  I've been looking in New Castle and Newark mostly in an effort to stay away from Southeastern PA.  I have family there and most areas aren't very nice.  I'm pretty open to anywhere within 20-30 minutes.  

Why not look for something in the City closer to where you work? Lots of nice places in Trolley Square/Cool Springs/Little Italy...even Midtown Brandywine or The Tringle

Robert, PM Sent! Looking forward to connecting! 

@James Masotti   Thanks for the suggestions.  I've looked around a little bit in the downtown Wilmington area, but have found that a lot of places are quite old.  I didn't want to over-extend myself my getting into a place that needed a lot of maintenance, but I living somewhere that close would be ideal.  Trolley Square is a nicer area; I just have the challenge of finding a rent-to-own or owner-financed place.  I'm keeping my eyes open!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.