Where can I find owner-financed or rent-to-own homes in Delaware

5 Replies

Moderators - Please move to the correct forum if I have not posted this in the correct location. 

Hello All.  I recently relocated to Delaware and am looking for a primary residence.  I'm in the process of fixing my credit and eliminating my debt.  I'm trying to find rent-to-own or owner-financed properties for sale, but haven't had much luck.  I've tried the marketplace here on BP and some internet searches without any reliable results.  I'd like to establish myself in a new primary residence while also improving my financial situation so one of these properties would be ideal to streamline the process.  Does anyone know of a good place to look or how to find these types of properties?  Feel free to reply here or message me privately.  Thanks all.

@Robert Johnston welcome to DE.  Here are a couple ideas.....advertise on Craigslist what you are looking for and contact anyone listing a rent to own or even regular rentals, join the Delreia facebook page(lots of local investors) and create a post about what you are looking for, try forsalebyowner sites and see if anyone is interested, find listed homes that have been on the market over 6 months(especially if the pictures show they are vacant) and see if they would do it.

What areas are you looking?

@Eric Armstrong thanks!  I'll definitely expand my searches to the places you mentioned.  I thought about Craigslist, but wasn't sure if it was heavily used by investors or not.  Certainly worth a shot.

I work in downtown Wilmington on Delaware Avenue, so anywhere that's commutable really.  I've been looking in New Castle and Newark mostly in an effort to stay away from Southeastern PA.  I have family there and most areas aren't very nice.  I'm pretty open to anywhere within 20-30 minutes.  

Originally posted by @Robert Johnston :

@Eric Armstrong thanks!  I'll definitely expand my searches to the places you mentioned.  I thought about Craigslist, but wasn't sure if it was heavily used by investors or not.  Certainly worth a shot.

I work in downtown Wilmington on Delaware Avenue, so anywhere that's commutable really.  I've been looking in New Castle and Newark mostly in an effort to stay away from Southeastern PA.  I have family there and most areas aren't very nice.  I'm pretty open to anywhere within 20-30 minutes.  

Why not look for something in the City closer to where you work? Lots of nice places in Trolley Square/Cool Springs/Little Italy...even Midtown Brandywine or The Tringle

Robert, PM Sent! Looking forward to connecting! 

@James Masotti   Thanks for the suggestions.  I've looked around a little bit in the downtown Wilmington area, but have found that a lot of places are quite old.  I didn't want to over-extend myself my getting into a place that needed a lot of maintenance, but I living somewhere that close would be ideal.  Trolley Square is a nicer area; I just have the challenge of finding a rent-to-own or owner-financed place.  I'm keeping my eyes open!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.