Out of State investments

13 Replies

Hi! I'm based in San Francisco and looking to purchase properties out of state. I've been researching a lot about Indianapolis on BP. Can anyone recommend a solid property management company for Indianapolis? I currently own locally so I've been managing those myself.

Any advice/connection would be much appreciated! Thanks!

@Kayla Ow

Awesome to hear your venturing out!  Best of luck.  I highly recommend googling property management within 10 miles of whatever deal your considering and filtering out from there based on reviews online and from speaking to people over the phone (reach out to experienced realtors in the area).  

@Larry Fried around $900-$1200, I think I'd like to own more units in class A-B neighborhoods

Originally posted by @Kayla Ow :

@Larry Fried around $900-$1200, I think I'd like to own more units in class A-B neighborhoods

Keep it at $1k or better, and I think that the recommendation of A Step Ahead is a really good one.

Larry Fried, Real Estate Agent in OR (#201211636)

Cool! thanks @Larry Fried . Any suburbs you would recommend? I was looking at Lawrence Indianapolis. 

@Ali Boone i don't have any properties there yet and looking at PM's ahead of time. I like to fully do research before purchasing. I'm open to rehab homes as long as rehab cost is less than $5k, floor and interior paint is fine but not redoing kitchens + bathrooms. 

I only deal with turnkeys around Indy so all the PMs I know of come through those lines. 

It can be a little hard to do a ton with finding PMs before you have properties. At least in my experience in Atlanta, different PMs do different areas, even down to which neighborhoods. So even if I found a PM I loved, they may not work for where I find a property. So while it is good to know there are legit PMs who can manage a property you buy, you may have to be just a smidge further along with what properties and areas you are focusing on.

Maybe you are and just didn't mention it, but just my two cents.

@Ali Boone thanks for the advice! I'm open to many district but I've been mainly researching Lawrence, indianapolis. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.