Real Estate License???

6 Replies

Hello BP!

As I get ready to to start purchasing real estate in the next month or two I had a thought. Maybe some of you investors that are real estate agent and/or Realtors can help me here. I plan to invest out of state- would it be of benefit to get my real estate license in my home state or the state I plan to invest in say in order to have some sort of inside scoop on properties? Thanks BP!

Yes! Having my real estate license has introduced me to opportunities I had never previously thought of. I have even had other agents call me and offer me off market deals because they know that I'm the "investor agent" and they are now willing to accept less in exchange for a quick close.

Dustin Frank, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA 100073207)
720-591-2743
Getting the License is a great idea. Make sure when you get that license that you connect with an investor friendly Broker. it will work in your favor

Your home state. For an agent real estate is local. I was in agent for 9 years in Corona, CA/ Rancho Cucamonga area. You can also be the go-to agent for slot of people here on Bigger Pockets. Having a license and being a part if NAR ( National Association of Realtors) it opens you up to getting referral fees from other states. Deals that you refer to other agent. It also opens you up to other agents in other states. Most agents are not investors. When you let other agents in other areas know, they will refer you deals cause they want a commission

YES!  Definitely get your license.  I would get your license in the state that you live in.  If you're going to do "real estate agent" business in other states, check the laws for that state as you may have to have an office in that particular state....This isn't necessary for investing, just doing real estate agent activities such as listing a home or helping someone buy in that particular state.
I think someone else said this as well, but you can always refer those clients to other agents to avoid needing to have an office there.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.