is this an assignment friendly contract?

1 Reply

Hey BP,

Made an offer on a property and the seller agreed and sent over a purchase contract. upon reviewing it i came across some verbiage i was hoping to clear up.

" 18. PARTIES: This Contract shall be binding upon and shall inure to the

benefit of Buyer and Seller and their respective heirs, successors and

assigns. As used herein, words in the singular include the plural and the

masculine includes the feminine and neuter genders, as appropriate. "

My question is how to you guys interpret this? Does this mean i can assign my interest in this deal and end up wholesaling it?

thanks.

This is not legal advice and should not be relied on as legal advice. You should consult a lawyer in NC before attempting to wholesale this property.

My impression is that you can assign this contract unless there is other language or law preventing you from doing so. But be careful --  you would only be assigning the "benefit" of the contract, not the burden. So if your end buyer doesn't perform (i.e., breaches the contract), YOU could be liable to the seller. You could try to protect yourself by making an agreement with the end buyer to indemnify you in the event of non-performance, but you'll definitely want to talk to your lawyer about this first.

Bottom line is that you'll want an attorney to review the entire contract before you attempt to wholesale.   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.