Is it worth it? First property

2 Replies

First let me start by apologizing if I leave out any critical info. 

The property is a duplex, 3 br top and 3 br bottom. Tenant occupies lower unit and has been there 10+ years with perfect rental history 

Top unit all redone except needs modern windows in a couple rooms. 100+ year old building. 

Quals for FHA.

The house is valued at 106,000, the seller asked 125, I offered 120 (basically to hold a spot and get some advice). 6% closing costs to me. 

Tenant pays 825, heat and hot water included (will be raised). and i know when I move out, I can get 1000+ for the upstairs. 

I honestly don't plan to sell, so the value of the home would be just for refinance purposes, correct? 

To me, the numbers add up in the long run, but I wanna know if I'm skipping something. 

Taxes/Insurance? Does the downstairs unit need any renovations?

Sounds like a great deal to me.

@derek e taxes are around 4300 /yr.   since I'm going fha my mortgage will be 1100 /mo 

No renovations are needed, however I'd like to eventually get the downstairs as show worthy as the upper unit. Not a concern right now though. 

If my numbers are right, this should cash flow about 700 /mo when we move out and rent the upper unit 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.