Votes
Enzo Magliozzi
  • Big Bear Lake, CA
Votes |
Hold Rental or Sell to Avoid Cap Gains?

Enzo Magliozzi
  • Big Bear Lake, CA
Posted Dec 15 2017, 14:16

I am new here and Iooking for advice to decide what to do with a particular rental property in Chico, CA. I have about 150K in equity in it now. Market value is about $340k and I feel the neighborhood is peaking. Typically I believe in holding, but now that I have inherited more rental properties in Southern California and Hawaii, I am considering selling the property in Northern California and purchasing something else when I relocate to another owned property in Hawaii. This would give me a very large down payment and move more of my properties to within a manageable distance from each other (2 locations instead of 3). I have been renting the place for 2 years now (moved out 12/15) but have yet to claim it. If I sell in 2018, I could avoid capital gains taxes which would be about 20k. Current tenants are willing to sign early termination because they want a dog. 

The current rent just covers the mortgage, landscaping and repairs. I do have the opportunity to raise the rent another $200 / month. I could also start to depreciate the house, but from what I understand I would pay that back when I eventually sell. My brother currently lives in the same town and helps to manage the property but he may move in the next few years also. I make trips about twice a year to look over things. The house is in great shape for being built in 1962 but the hvac system is going out. I feel that I could put in more sweat equity into something closer with more growth potential in Hawaii. 

The biggest thing holding me back from selling now is what to do with the gains. I don't necessarily need it for another rental investment but it could help to bring down my payments. Since the other properties are just now coming into my posession, I do not have the the tax history of their income to show a lender. I quit my day job earlier this year to move from Texas to manage these properties and my father's estate but will be back to work this spring. 

Should I sell and sit on the gains while building my proof of income and shop around? Or hold for another x years and still buy something else with a lower down payment?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Loading replies...