Textbook Rentals and Seed Capital

8 Replies

My son gave me the idea of starting a textbook rental service for students in Alabama. Where can I find the best property values by school district in Alabama. Also if anyone has any ideas on how to get Seed Capital for buying textbooks? 

Try government education grants or development programs. Maybe a joint venture with a private education institution?

I know this sounds obvious, but have you tried a conventional loan? This seems like the kind of investment that doesn't have a very quick ROI, you will want a credit solution that is low interest at the very least.

I think your best bet is to look into a small business loan for seed capital. Best of luck

I feel with the advent of online purchases, you may have issues making this work financially. There are many great online book rental/swap/purchase startups online today. This may be an idea doomed to fail, and perhaps not the best use of precious seed capital.

@Parth Patel , I concur. The advent of new technologies makes going into brick and mortar book stores a troubling idea to say the least. 

Amazon is beginning to rule the roost when it comes to both digital and physical books. May be a tough market to crack unless you are going to be extremely specific with your selection of literature for sale.

With new editions every year (maybe two) making old editions literally have zero value,... sounds like a great way to build a library.

I’d get familiar with the racket which is university profs accepting/ using textbooks in exchange for textbook company $ also...

Sounds like a good in to the market, trading with the professors. My day job being market research, I am not so sure it's a great market to get into at the moment. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here