Finding Off Market Deals For Buy and Hold

8 Replies

Hello! I am looking for deals between 4-20 units with 20-30 years ownership. I know you need the owners permission to know how much is owed but I feel those two criteria could help me get started, although they are very broad and I will be more specific when needed.

Would anyone know how to find these? County records? I have an idea I’m just not sure?

Has anyone had success with direct mail to property owners for buy and hold purposes? 

Thank you! Look forward to hearing from you guys!

@Rodney Harris

Easy to pay ~12cents a lead from a large data providers for those, and you can filter by high equity for your long years of ownership - you don't care about the years they own it, you care about how much equity they have because if they have a lot you're more likely to get someone willing to sell for less. These are for buy and hold. If you wanted to wholesale or flip, you're better off with SFHs.

@Rodney Harris who are some of those data providers? Is it as easy as going online to purchase that info?

Originally posted by @Ray Lai :

@Rodney Harris

Easy to pay ~12cents a lead from a large data providers for those, and you can filter by high equity for your long years of ownership - you don't care about the years they own it, you care about how much equity they have because if they have a lot you're more likely to get someone willing to sell for less. These are for buy and hold. If you wanted to wholesale or flip, you're better off with SFHs.

Thank you for the response! I appreciate it! No SFH for me. What resources can I go to find this information? I'm only using this for buy and hold between 4-20 units

@Rodney Harris

There are big websites like listsource.com that provide that info but they charge a little more. I know of a source that has similar but different data at a much better price, sending you a PM with the info.

@Ray Lai im looking to do direct marketing and interested in finding other list sources also.  Would you mind PM your sources for similar lists?  I would also be interested to learn more about ReSimpli.  Thanks!

@Rodney Harris Hi Rodney, it's usually pretty simple. Typically, the county (or parish) the property is in will likely have electronic records that may be searched online for free. I live in Travis County, Texas, so in order to locate the portal to search these records I just googled 'Travis County Record Search Deeds' and the link was provided. Each system is different so be sure to read any FAQ or instructions to understand how to search. What you can learn from these systems is incredible. I was interested in a 10 unit trailer park recently; owner is asking 199k. I learned the owner (investor) bought it three years ago for 38k. it certainly helped me gauge how low I could offer on it.
Originally posted by @Larry Hawkins :
@Rodney Harris Hi Rodney, it's usually pretty simple. Typically, the county (or parish) the property is in will likely have electronic records that may be searched online for free. I live in Travis County, Texas, so in order to locate the portal to search these records I just googled 'Travis County Record Search Deeds' and the link was provided. Each system is different so be sure to read any FAQ or instructions to understand how to search.

What you can learn from these systems is incredible. I was interested in a 10 unit trailer park recently; owner is asking 199k. I learned the owner (investor) bought it three years ago for 38k. it certainly helped me gauge how low I could offer on it.

Thank you for the response!! I was looking to see how much equity owners in my counties and certain counties around me had in the 4-20 unit range. I was wondering if I could just find a customized list like this? For a whole city?

Hey guys I ended up finding a deal for an off market 4 plex (on my own and no mailing site) !! I will make a different post and talk about it there!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here