Estes Park CO real estate market

5 Replies

How well does anyone know this area?

Looking to buy land to build a cabin for family that we may rent out also.

Looking for trends in this area to determine $/acre and if this area is on the rise or fall?

Thanks

Brian 

Hi Brian- I just moved to Loveland (45mins from Estes) from Austin a year ago.  My parents have a rental property there for 3years then retired and moved into it last year. 

Here's the three things I know

1) my relator there says that Estes Park limits there short term rental permits and that I should not count on being able to get one.

2) month to month or anything long term is hard for renters to find bc of a rental shortage.

3) tourists to Estes Park and RM national Park percentage increases are going through the roof each year. 

I wish I had more to tell you. I love Estes it is so beautiful and the people are great.

ok thank you for your input and replying to my first post!  I’m going to keep digging into Estes Park to figure it out.

Be sure to learn about the requirements for water and sewer.  You don't want to buy a chunk of land only to discover you have no water or sewer.  Water rights are a big deal out here and you should not assume you can sort this out after the fact.

I would be happy to help you get connected and informed about the Estes Park real estate market. I've been an agent here for the last 13 years. Send me a message with specific questions and I'd be happy to help. 

For everyone else's benefit, the short term rental situation in Estes Park is unique because the town and surrounding area requires a permit to do short term rentals in Residential zoning districts.  The number of permits town-wide is capped at a certain number and there is no guarantee there will be permits available when you may need one. However, there are currently still permits available and once those are gone, there will be a waitlist. Certain other zoning designations do not have the same restrictions.

There is a lot of demand for long-term rentals and not much supply, but typically the cost of construction and land acquisition costs make cash flow difficult. 

(970) 215-0759

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.