Purchasing a duplex with an fha loan

2 Replies

Help i need advice.. i am wanting to purchase a duplex in Ga with an fha loan and I'm planning to live in the property for at least a year.. sellers rather go for the cash offers and don't want to do any repairs that fha requires.. any suggestions?

@Veronica Del Rio I am sorry to hear you are running into this issue. I represent sellers regularly who are trying to house hack in the Berwyn and Forest Park here in the Chicago burbs. One of the big challenges all new investor face is that the very best deals always go to those with cash. You could definitely try to use an FHA 203k loan in the case you are talking about, but they take a long time to put together. Some sellers would rather just move the property.

Reduce your spending and /or increase your income and save up a down payment so that you can be approved for a conventional mortgage. You will not be able to beat out cash buyers but you will not be requiring sellers to make repairs for FHA loan approval. Otherwise you will have to look at other markets outside of your target area which are less in demand.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.