Tips for touring my first property when I'm not a serious buyer?

4 Replies

I'm still in school, about to get a job, and therefore not actually a serious buyer yet. I plan to, ASAP, buy a condo for myself next to work, but mostly stay with my parents and Airbnb host the condo.

I'm in love with a $200K studio on the Chicago River (Marina City, architectural icon, amazing layout, low HOA fees). Therefore, I want to tour this listing although, in reality, I'm a year away from buying anything.

What should I tell the agent? Thanks! :)

@Frank T.

Absolutely nothing. These are people who are trying to make a living and put food on the table for their family. Why are you trying to waste their time if you are not serious?

Luckily, most agents require that you have a mortgage Pre-qualification letter and Pre-approval letter before they can speak to you.

Get your finances in order and when you are finally serious on buying, call a mortgage company first to get Pre-approved for a loan, THEN call up an agent to start house hunting.

You don't like your time being wasted, so why should you do that to someone else?

@Frank T. Find an open house or 4 that you can go to.  You're not taking any extra time away from the realtor, and you can be honest with them.  It also lets you start finding someone who may be able to help you when you're ready.  Start asking questions, and most realtors would be happy to take the extra 5 or 10 minutes during their open house to talk to you.

That way you're not taking an hour out of their day when you're not ready.

@Mike McCarthy Mikes got it.. open house ONLY ..... talk to the realtor holding it.. let them know your not interested or capable yet but will be in a year or so.. they can put you on auto MLS listings that will hit your e mail in box weekly or daily as listings come up.. this is what I do in markets I am active in.. then if i see a new listing i am interested in I e mail my realtor and off we got.. Just be honest and forthright.. Once your ready you be loyal to the agent who set this up for you and took the time then start working with them.. first thing of course is your pre qual .. get that done so when you are ready to go your ready ... Sellers agents will require them anyway.

Originally posted by @Frank T. :

I'm still in school, about to get a job, and therefore not actually a serious buyer yet. I plan to, ASAP, buy a condo for myself next to work, but mostly stay with my parents and Airbnb host the condo.

I'm in love with a $200K studio on the Chicago River (Marina City, architectural icon, amazing layout, low HOA fees). Therefore, I want to tour this listing although, in reality, I'm a year away from buying anything.

What should I tell the agent? Thanks! :)

Open house would be the way to go. Getting someone to provide you a private tour isn't fair to them. I suppose you could offer them a couple hundred bucks but even then most busy agents still want see it as a good use of time.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.