Making offers to real estate agent or owner

2 Replies

Hello. I’m fairly new and I’ve been reading and learning much from the podcast and webinars here in BP.

Began using calculator and have looked at several properties. I have some money saved up for downpayment and have good credit.

Well I wanted to make an offer on a property.  They ask for 84k, when I run the numbers for it to work for me is max 62k.

If it was sold by owner wouldn’t hesitate, but for some reason think the real estate agent will black list me or something lol

Well getting to the question. 

1. Should I look at sold by owner and sold by agent as the same, when making offers?

2. If my max payable amount is 62k, at what point should I begin the negotiation with? I was thinking probably 55k

Any insight will be much appreciated.

1. No. FSBO (For sale by owner) and listed on the MLS are not the same in terms of making an offer because with FSBOs, you'll be making your offer directly to the owner, and MLS-listed properties will have you make the offer to the listing agent, who will then present the offer to his/her client.

2. If 62k is truly your best amount, submit the offer and indicate it is your highest and best offer. You may want to indicate how you arrived at that number as not to insult the seller, but that is optional and by no means necessary. 

Your negotiation will depend on a number of factors such as days on market, condition of the property, location, and of course supply and demand just to name a few. Best of luck going forward. The listing agent has the duty to present all offers to their client, unless the client has indicated to the agent not to submit offers to them. If you come in super low, the worst they can say is 'no' and reject your offer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.