clayton getting into tiny homes

3 Replies

Me?  probably not.  My wife?  No way.  My mom?  Absolutely.  She has a Clayton home she built a few years ago.  It was the smallest one they offered at the time, and they still don't offer these in her area.  But this these are exactly what she really wanted.

As far as them being built in communities there are a lot of hurdles to overcome.  IMHO, this absolutely should happen.  But we have a culture that values big houses and big lots and that philosophy is enshrined in zoning codes.  Until there is enough momentum to change zoning codes to allow much higher densities I think this will have a tough time taking off.

I am currently working with a client that wants me to build her 8-10 tiny houses and develop the back section of her property into a little community. This particular property is in the county, however we have the city ETJ to deal with. These communities will be a thing in the near future.

I like the homes and would make great rentals. However, reading on the site says home cost in the low 100k. Seems like a lot for such a small home. I know homes here you can build for about 100 to 110 a sq ft. It would be cheaper to buy shotgun homes downtown and fix up and rent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.