Relocating - Should I Rent or Sell

4 Replies

Hello Everyone! 

So I have an interesting situation.  I am currently a home owner which is undergoing relocation for work.  I am moving from Miami, FL to Jupiter, FL.  

Current Property has market value of Approx 480k. and is PAID OFF.  I am thinking I should be able to rent out for about 3000 and have monthly expenses of 1300, so a cash flow of about 1700. 

I am getting into a new mortgage on a new property, and am expecting Mortgage/Tax/Insurance ~3500 per month.  I am contemplating if I should rent my original home   and use the cash flow to help pay mortgage or sell and pay off my new home, or very close to all and decrease the burden of Interest on my new purchase.

My relocation has some benefits: No Seller fees on home sale.  If home sells for 480 I get a check for 480 (no comisson or anything etc.)  I can get a Primary Residence tax break too. 

I think you can find a higher and better use of your equity than renting your $480k house for $3k/month.

I would sell the current house since the price to rent ratio isn't very good, put a down payment on the new house instead of paying it in full and then use the remainder of your cash to start acquiring more properties.

Of course it all depends on your personal goals but this is what I would do if I was looking to start building a portfolio.

$480K in equity invested at a return of 10% (opportunity value) is worth $4000/month. With rent at $3000, which is way to low based on property value, you will be losing (negative cash flow) $2300/month on your money. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT is time you learned the value of your money.

Sell asap.

^^^What everyone else has said.  In addition, why would you leave the behind the commission that your job is paying to sell your home?  That's $28,800 that you are leaving on the table.

I would sell and acquire a few properties that cash flow.

GL!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.