Buying the listing agents personal house.

3 Replies

I am going to purchase a house that is owned by the listing agent. I am a first time home buyer and not an investor. Should I find a buyers agent or trust the owner/listing agent. Thank you in advance for any input.

While you may be in a state that allows double representation it generally is not a good idea assuming you need representation. If you’re comfortable making all your own decisions then it may be and added bonus to your offer that you will allow the listing agent/owner to represent you.

Theoretically agents are required to represent the interest of both buyer and seller equally in these situations but being that an agent doesn’t get paid unless they make the sale and the added fact that this agent is also the owner it would take a very special person to maintain appropriate ethics.

My advice would be if you wouldn’t be comfortable buying a random property without an agent then you need to get your own agent in this circumstance.

@Brie Schmidt - It was FSBO and Listed. The property is owned by the listing agent; She is a flipper in a very small town. I am in a lease with option to buy right now, and have every intention of buying the house, however I am getting a little apprehensive as there are things that need to be fixed before the purchase is closed on. Maybe I am just being overly cautious.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.