Votes
Ericka Medina
  • Thornton, CO
Votes |
Roof 20 plus years old, ready to rent and insurance won't cover

Ericka Medina
  • Thornton, CO
Posted Mar 3 2018, 20:05

Hello everyone! I am finally ready to rent out my home and have found a tenant...YAY! However; I have a huge road block when it comes to obtaining landlord insurance. I can't find a carrier that will insure me for either one, or both of the reasons below:

1. The house was built in 1996 and I cannot find records that roof was ever replaced previously (I purchased it in 2015). I am being told that roof older than 15 years are not accepted by most of the carriers.

2. I have moved from CO to CA and some carriers don't cover out of state investors.

3. All of the above.

I did receive one quote for $2600, which was $1200 over what a normal policy would cost. When I purchased the home I was told by the inspector that it was in good condition and would not have to be replaced for 5-6 years. I am not sure what to do, it seems a waste of money to replace a roof in working order, but I'm not sure if it's my only option at this point in order to secure a policy. 

Any suggestions/feedack would be greatly appreciated as my tenants moved in mid February and I still have not found a policy.

Ericka 

Loading replies...