Deal or no Deal on 4 plex?

4 Replies

So I'm negotiating with a seller right now & thought I would put my question out here to see what other people thought.  I am trying to buy a 4 plex & the owner has come off the selling price by only 5k.  I am sitting at about a 6% cap rate with the deal sitting this way.  I will have to pay a 9k sewer assessment with things the way they are at the moment.  I've asked the seller to split that with me...but he came back & said no...but he will pay for a home warranty ($1500 roughly).  Would you let the deal sit & wait or would you just do the deal?  I hate to loose the deal over 5k... but Ideally I want at least a 7% cap rate... of course that is not a hard fast number it's just what I set out to get.  FYI...this is my first deal.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

Steve.

No I guess most properties in the area have a sewer assessment...some just pay for it monthly....some negotiate it into the deal.  Because it's 9k I kind of want to get it handled up front.

Are you purchasing this cash? What are your metric goals? Your claims of 6 & 7% sound like rough numbers. Can you tell us what the exact financial impact of an additional 5k added to the purchase price? I think this way we can actually much better assist you.

Gabe Amedee, Real Estate Agent in Florida (#3388321)

I'm not purchasing cash...I'm putting 25% down... it's a 220k mortgage...with about 2100 in monthly rent.... I have a 10% management fee... 5% vacancy, 2000 Property tax (/year), 1000 Insurance (/year) 1000 maintenance(/year), Other Costs (2800 - with the sewer.... 1400 without)  I show 6.88 cap rate with the sewer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.