Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Steven Denio
  • Investor From Portland, OR
Votes |
Sold half of a lot, what do I do with the fence?

Steven Denio
  • Investor From Portland, OR
Posted Mar 14 2018, 10:52

Bought a house and divided the lot in two. I am renovating and selling the house and selling off the divided lot separately to a builder. The property has a chain link fence spanning the whole frontage of the property and the lot is in contract. I know that the builder will want to put in a nicer fence but I don't have any room in my budget for a new fence on the side of property with the house on it. Now I have a new house with an old chain link fence which I don't think will look great once the project is finished and can cause problems when it comes to selling the property subject to half of the property being sold off. 

My Question is. 

A) Do I just take down the fence entirely? It is not a bad neighborhood but there is something that feels like you should have a fence to protect there. 

B) Do I paint half the fence black - This would mean that I have 2/5ths of the fence left.

C) Try and negotiate a new fence in the contract of the sale and with the builder as he will probably be building a new fence. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Loading replies...