Buying and selling in a Recession

6 Replies

Is it best to buy and sell during a recession? Or do you buy in a recession and wait until the market is back up? I heard we are due for one?

@Archie Sharp while I think everyone would agree it’s better to buy low and sell high - if anyone can tell you they can predict housing prices in the future then why aren’t they as rich as Warren Buffett?

I think most economists agree the economy is getting fragile as interest rates are rising and America’s are in the most debt they have ever been in.

Now to the question of investing in real estate - if your a buy and hold investor and buy at a good
Price you are most likely in it for the long haul and will have dips and upticks in the market but as long as your renting and paying down any debt your in good shape. Just do not over leverage. If you want to fix and flip that is different and it will depend on where you want to invest

Depends how old you are, and how close to retirement you are.

Originally posted by @Archie Sharp :
@Aaron Hunt: I am about 30 years away form retirement.

Same, and probably even further. Although I want to tell myself I am a lot closer if I get financially free at the level I want to live at.

@Archie Sharp

Keep waiting for the recession to buy - that means more deals for the rest of us while you wait :)

I plan to educate myself as much as possible before I start.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.