Filtering on Ownership Type to Find Off-market Deals

1 Reply

I have access to the LandVision software for doing research on off-market properties, and I'm looking for some recommendations on how to best filter my search criteria. I can easily filter for out of state owners, and properties which have not sold within the past 15 years (high-equity owners). 

I'm looking for some guidance on any strategies which can be used to filter on Ownership Type. Some examples of the filter parameters include:

• Husband and wife
  • Revocable/Irrevocable Trust
  • Family Trust
  • Joint Tenants
  • Estate
  • Company/Corporation
  • Partnership

There are many additional options. Any recommendations on which types of ownership structures are the best to target? In this case I'm specifically focusing on SFH or small MFH, out of state owners, both owner-occupied and rental properties.

Thanks all!

@Keith Meyer

Personally I go for whatever is easier to handle and contact. Absentee owners, who are elderly (over 60 years of age) and have owned the property for at least 10 years. The response I get is always pretty good, much better than average.

I am not too worried about ownership type. I tend to stay away from trusts, because there is a lot to deal with usually (attorneys, parties involved, etc.)