Female realtors in Delaware County PA who deal with multi family

9 Replies

I am currently interviewing realtors in Delaware County, PA to make sure I find a good fit.  I have met a few male realtors that I gel with, but I also want to know, are there any female realtors in Delaware County who sell multi family and own multi family housing?  I only posted once, but it is predominately a male realtor population that I am noticing.  Any women out there who are also investors and realtors?

1. Yes, on the investment/commercial side of the business, the numbers do skew pretty heavily male, even more so when you get out of residential completely & into office/industrial/retail.

2. The gender of your agent really shouldn't matter at all, just whoever is most competent. I hope those male realtors you "gelled with" didn't lose your business purely due to their gender. If so, be very careful when screening tenants, if you use similar criteria, you'll quickly subject yourself to fair housing violations & maybe even civil rights violations.

@Steve B. I was more talking about the mindset in general, and I never mentioned race. However, imagine if a landlord on here said they've had a few male applicants who fully qualify but really wanted to rent to a female. I have seen plenty of people post things on here that are blatantly against fair housing laws. I also don't think that a lot of members here realize that a not insignificant number of people on this site are attorneys.

Originally posted by @Gregory Hiban :

1. Yes, on the investment/commercial side of the business, the numbers do skew pretty heavily male, even more so when you get out of residential completely & into office/industrial/retail.

2. The gender of your agent really shouldn't matter at all, just whoever is most competent. I hope those male realtors you "gelled with" didn't lose your business purely due to their gender. If so, be very careful when screening tenants, if you use similar criteria, you'll quickly subject yourself to fair housing violations & maybe even civil rights violations.

Hi Gregory, I asked that question out of curiosity and noticing that most people that commented on my original post were male. I have nothing against men at all.  

As a woman, sometimes it's nice to have another women's opinion.  I have nothing against men and would like to have a male in my building.   Maybe if he wants to shovel snow, etc...I would lower his rent.  So, no worries there.  I am in an apartment now and when I think about it, I prefer men as my neighbors over women.   

Ultimately, I will choose the best "person" for the job. 

@Gregory Hiban so you are saying if a poster says “I only rent to females” there is any chance an attorney on this forum is going to take that case?  Lol I don’t think that case is viable in any state even if it’s legally applicable 

@Steve B. No, I'm saying that attorneys are on this site, and could use things written here as backup if they did have a client who brought a claim against a landlord on here. Case in point, Holly just said she would make an offer of lower rent to men and not to women.

Originally posted by @Gregory Hiban :

@Steve B. No, I'm saying that attorneys are on this site, and could use things written here as backup if they did have a client who brought a claim against a landlord on here. Case in point, Holly just said she would make an offer of lower rent to men and not to women.

You know what?  You are twisting things and taking things out of context.  I said...I said that I would offer a male lower rent if they wanted to shovel snow, mow the lawn, etc.  I would not offer men lower rent just because they are a man.  Who wouldn't get that? IF someone wants to help with a property I own, regardless of gender, I would give them a discount.  

It seems like you just want to stir the pot for whatever reason.   One thing I have realized is that if a person keeps projecting issues onto another, it's because of their own "stuff."  Perhaps you have been discriminated against because honestly, why get so heated about me asking about a female realtor?  

I don't get it, but at this point, I will not respond anymore to someone who picks things apart and takes them way out of context.   

@Holly Thomas I am not projecting anything, I am just playing devil's advocate. Real estate is one of the most litigious businesses out there, and you have to be extremely careful with the words you use, because even innocent mistakes can get you sued. 

For example, if you ask a prospective tenant if they have kids (or how many kids they have) and later turn down their application, even if you turn it down for a completely non-related reason, they can sue you under the fair housing act because just asking about kids can be considered discrimination based on family status. Any half decent attorney would win such a case.