Votes
Seth Cedars
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Did I buy a house or a car?

Seth Cedars
  • Denver, CO
Posted Jun 6 2018, 15:59

Ok... so I closed on a duplex sight unseen in February.  The owner had a primary residence outside the city but lived in one unit during the week.  The other unit was rented to a long term tenant on a month to month basis.  Every time we tried to view the 2nd unit the tenant was never there or there was some other excuse.  The owner assured us that the tenant was a model tenant so we closed on the property (though we had to drill the locks in order to get an appraisal because the tenant stood the appraiser up 3 times).  Once we finally got in, we discovered that the long term resident wasn't actually living in the unit and that it was trashed.  After purchase we let the tenant know that we weren't going to extend his lease and gave him the option to move into another one of my properties which he declined.  

The property has a 2 car garage.  We didn't pay attention to it at all during the purchase or rehab.  I was informed by project manager the other day that there is a nice car in the garage.  By nice, I mean good condition.  Probably mid-1980s sedan.  I still need to run the VIN to ensure it isn't stolen.  Not sure if theres a title.  But... is this car mine now?  I have no idea if it would have belonged to the owner, the tenant or someone else.  Nobody has inquired about it.

Loading replies...