Buying HOA foreclosure, 3 years state taxes owing! PLEASE HELP!!

6 Replies

In Florida if somebody bought the tax certs from 2015, 2016 and 2017 can they take/buy/exercise/get title to the property?  Anybody know the process that person needs to follow in order to receive title?  I plan on paying back taxes immediately!!!!!! I don't want to win on Thursday and then lose it Thursday afternoon--I hope to win Thursday morning and pay back taxes in the afternoon.

Your question is not exactly clear....
Are you looking to buy a property at HOA auction that has 3 years of tax certificates?
If so, no worries.....buying/owning a tax certificate gives you NO rights to the property. A certificate holder had to apply to send the property to a tax deed auction, pay off all the certificates, then it goes to a Tax Deed public auction.
If a Tax Deed auction is scheduled, you’d have to pay off the taxes to stop the auction.

As an aside, most properties going to an HOA auction have a large mortgage which Stays With The Property......making the new owner liable for it and the bank can foreclose on the property if not paid off.

Wayne,  thank you so much! I’ve already run title and no mortgage.  Just 3 years of back taxes.  My concern was if i win the auction, receive title, can I lose title immediately to owner of tax certs if he chose to buy/excersise his right to property.  I would obviously pay off the tax debt immediately.

My understanding of this:

In Florida it will go to a deed auction, check with the county to see if it up for auction before you can pay them off.

Exp: Tax Lien Holder/Investor in Florida. For someone who a tax lien in Florida they must apply for the tax deed, this puts the property up for auction for the highest bidder. If no one bids above the min the tax lien holder than gets title to the property.

I would not be freaking on this issue if you are alright with paying for the back taxes and interest. 

I also want to disclose that I have done tax liens in Florida but I am far from an expert on the state. (Ie: don't take my word as if it was written in the bible, if that kind of thing is in your alley.) 

Originally posted by @Chris Marot :

Wayne,  thank you so much! I’ve already run title and no mortgage.  Just 3 years of back taxes.  My concern was if i win the auction, receive title, can I lose title immediately to owner of tax certs if he chose to buy/excersise his right to property.  I would obviously pay off the tax debt immediately.

Yes, I've noticed. I've had four successful bids. I've notice people overbid quite often additionally I've noticed people buying HOA foreclosures with big mortgages. Pretty obvious some people don't run title. Tomorrow I'm bidding in a county that is "rural". On Friday going for a property in Miami which I doubt I'll get because I've noticed most properties are cancelled for one reason or another and the ones that do go usually not much of a deal. We will see. Thanks again for all input, it is very much appreciated and will be laid forward.