ARE FEMALE REAL ESTATE INVESTORS BEING OVERLOOKED?

8 Replies

The market is dominated by male investors.  Female investors are learning the game now.  I am a female investor. 

i believe that we can make a difference, if we join hands and team up to share in ideas that work for us as female Real Estate investors.   

I agree the demographics probably favor men (I don't have actual stats in front of me to prove that). But how are women being overlooked? 

From my perspective only, money is pretty good at leveling the playing field. Meaning, I would guess sellers don't care who is buying their property if the price is right. I know I'll be raising my daughter to know she can play in this game. If she actually wants to remains to be seen. 

@Rena Smith I am not sure why you say "female investors are being overlooked". I see lots of female investors here on BP. I see lots of them at local clubs. At least one club in my area has a sub-group specifically for women. I have probably helped and mentored as many women as men in this industry. 

Are their fewer women in this industry - probably yes. I suspect that is by choice not by any aspect of the industry keeping them out. If you believe there is a glass ceiling you are bound to bump into it. 

@Ninfa Asitimbay said:  

I know a few women investors but is rare and sad

Personally I am happy to say I know lots of women investors. Many are quite successful and I think that is great.

PS: the only real estate investor on Shark Tank is a woman.

@Rena Smith @Ninfa Asitimbay @Nneka I.   I am happy to say that I was the first female moderator on BP. I don't think they picked me solely because I was a female or if it even entered into the decision.  After joining BP,  I consistently came on and answered questions, and helped out where I could.  I am a licensed general contractor in the state of California and have been since 1993. I took the same test everyone else had to. I am also a licensed real estate agent. Over the years I've had a few rare occassions where there were people that preferred to work with men, and in such cases I backed off and had my husband work with them. Of course it wasn't necessry, but if it made someone feel more comfortable, it didn't bother me. 

I think that no matter what you're doing, if you know your trade, and have confidence in your abilities, it doesn't matter what your gender is. My husband passed away 2 years ago. I now am partners with my son. Each of us have different parts of the business we do. I work everyday with subcontractors and materials suppliers, all of which are men, and have no problems with it. Nobody cares that I'm a woman, I'm hiring them to do a job, and they do it. At the same time, if there's times I need help from a man, I never have a problem asking for it, and appreciating their help, because it's my experience  there definitely are certain areas where men have an advantage. I've also relied on other women with experiences different than mine to learn from. 

I don't know why we're supposedly overlooked?

Yes, especially in the South, many men will underestimate me, but that can also be a benefit, when sellers let their guard down more, when negotiating with a woman.  It all evens out somewhere.