Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Kyle McCorkel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hummelstown, PA
Votes |
How do you weed out the tire kickers/unrealistic sellers?

Kyle McCorkel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hummelstown, PA
Posted Jan 16 2019, 12:39

I've been sending letters and postcards for about 8 months now and I'd say 90%+ of the respondents are what I would call tire kickers. These are people who aren't truly motivated or just don't get it - for example on a property with an ARV of $150K that needs $30k in rehab, I'll offer something like $85K and they absolutely balk and say they were expecting an offer of $150K!

Oh and they also want a quick, cash sale and don't want to go through a realtor.

How do you weed these people out or educate them so that you don't waste both your and the seller's time? I put in all my mailers that I'm a real estate investor looking for properties that need work. I tell them over the phone that my goal is to make a profit, and my price will be based off ARV minus repairs minus profit. When I go to the property I show the seller everything that needs to be repaired/upgraded and explain that I will be putting tens of thousands into the property. After all this prepping, when they finally hear my offer, nearly every time they are absolutely floored/insulted.

Does anybody have any techniques they use to help to filter these people out?

Loading replies...