• Real Estate Lender
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
is it worth it to pay to get rental on MLS

David Ackerman
  • Real Estate Lender
  • New York City, NY
Posted Nov 2 2011, 15:22

Hi all. I recently bought my 2nd rental in Raleigh last week. The first rental had an existing tenant. This unit is currently vacant. I used the same agent for both purchases.

When discussing ways to market my 2nd property with my agent, she mentioned MLS is a great way to find tenants. Then, she mentioned that her company (meaning her) could put my property on MLS for 1 month's rent ($1,100). I told her I have to think about it.

Well, now that I am thinking about it, that seems somewhat unfair to me. I have just purchased 2 properties with this agent (and her company) and now they want to charge me for putting my property on MLS.

So, my question is this: Should I approach my agent and say something like this,"I would greatly appreciate if you would put my property on MLS free of charge. I'd be willing to pay you and another agent a few $100 dollars if you find a respectable tenant for me. I plan on buying more properties from you in the future and this would show me that you are looking out for me and my investments"

Well, does anyone think I would be out of line saying that to my agent? Has anyone else done something like this before?

Thnx,

Dave

Loading replies...