Clayton Morris / Morris Invest House of Cards starting to fall.

1.6K Replies

@James Wise I certainly feel bad for the people who lost money with Morris/Oceanpointe.....but most of these people simply were lying to themselves about the risks here. Out of state, higher risk, crap houses in the ghetto, higher risk, cheap properties, higher risk.  I always tell people if they want to invest in these crap hole properties, they need to watch your tenants from hell videos to get a real view of what investing in that class is like.  

Im not trying to defend Clayton Morris and these other peddlers of this crap, but people need to have some sort of responsibility for their decisions. They invest in the absolutely highest risk properties in the highest risk locations in the highest risk possible, then are shocked when it all goes to hell.

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

@James Wise I certainly feel bad for the people who lost money with Morris/Oceanpointe.....but most of these people simply were lying to themselves about the risks here. Out of state, higher risk, crap houses in the ghetto, higher risk, cheap properties, higher risk.  I always tell people if they want to invest in these crap hole properties, they need to watch your tenants from hell videos to get a real view of what investing in that class is like.  

Im not trying to defend Clayton Morris and these other peddlers of this crap, but people need to have some sort of responsibility for their decisions. They invest in the absolutely highest risk properties in the highest risk locations in the highest risk possible, then are shocked when it all goes to hell.

It's well beyond minimizing the risk level. Pure fraud allegations are all over. We are talking about him selling them plots of land for $60,000 with the promise that he would build new homes post close. Fast forward to post close and they just took the money & ran.

One of the easiest ways to identify a potential problem property is the chain of title. The vast majority of these we saw were bought/sold/quitclaimed around with many of them having been bought at tax auction. 

Our attorney is actually one of the attorneys going after Morris Invest. 

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

It's well beyond minimizing the risk level. Pure fraud allegations are all over. We are talking about him selling them plots of land for $60,000 with the promise that he would build new homes post close. Fast forward to post close and they just took the money & ran.

Yeah the ponzi scheme part of it is just crazy.  Its so crazy....because even if you want to invest out of state, we all say, make sure you do with the reputable guys, like You or Chris Clothier.  Youd think this dude who was on national TV for a decade would be reputable.

one of the reasons is the idea that a return MUST MEET THEIR CRITERIA IE 10% or better COC out of the gate .. they miss the IRR concept and only focus on cash flow which is beat into their heads.. its a huge mistake.. cash flow is great we all know that but IRR is the true measure over time

This post has been removed.

All we spoke about this in various other threads but I figured here would be a good spot to post a link as well. This is a link to a lawsuit that appears to be one mentioned in that article. I believe it was @Jay Hinrichs who originally shared this link with me. I know there are others out there but this is the only one I remember saving the link too.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AIDCvXFI-oZwSEk&cid=1AA08994585B5976&id=1AA08994585B5976!72409&parId=1AA08994585B5976!54983&o=OneUp

Originally posted by @Ryan Dossey :

One of the easiest ways to identify a potential problem property is the chain of title. The vast majority of these we saw were bought/sold/quitclaimed around with many of them having been bought at tax auction. 

Our attorney is actually one of the attorneys going after Morris Invest. 

You have any more color that you can add to the story with this inside relationship or does that info need to be kept close to the vest?

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Yeah the ponzi scheme part of it is just crazy.  Its so crazy....because even if you want to invest out of state, we all say, make sure you do with the reputable guys, like You or Chris Clothier.  Youd think this dude who was on national TV for a decade would be reputable, but hes the worst scum in the space.

You've got to wonder how a guy like that got this deep. Most Ponzi schemes don't start off intentionally, they just kinda get away from the originator. Clayton's got himself a lot to loose. Lol he quit a national TV show to do this full time, makes no damn sense.

Originally posted by @Joe M. :

I just saw this on USAToday.  You beat me to it

Post the USA today link here. It'd be nice to have an easy to find thread with all the various articles that will come from this.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

Yeah the ponzi scheme part of it is just crazy.  Its so crazy....because even if you want to invest out of state, we all say, make sure you do with the reputable guys, like You or Chris Clothier.  Youd think this dude who was on national TV for a decade would be reputable, but hes the worst scum in the space.

You've got to wonder how a guy like that got this deep. Most Ponzi schemes don't start off intentionally, they just kinda get away from the originator. Clayton's got himself a lot to loose. Lol he quit a national TV show to do this full time, makes no damn sense.

Very early on though Morris was either one of the most clueless investors or he did not really care money was too good.. but his characterization of the assets were pure fantasy.. and new investors simply dont understand or they have never really seen what those areas and tenants are like.   Just one big fantasy.. and i know for a Fact he knew he had issues 6 months in.. but the machine was rolling you start making 100 to 200k a month and you get pretty full of yourself.   The money becomes a drug..

@James Wise

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/03/26/fox-and-friends-clayton-morris-investment-real-estate-scheme/3275317002/

This post has been removed.

one thing I noticed when you google Clayton Morris all of these articles are right on the front page.. whereas in the past he has had his IT people bury negative press..  There is no hiding this now... and since most of these folks if not all are going to sue for fraud Fraud is not dischargable in BK.. so even when he BKs he is still going to have people hounding him.. 

But with this much going on I suspect U will see some govmit action .. easiest of course is wire fraud.

and a lot of folks don't realize wire fraud is not only about money.. its about dissemination of false information and obviously he has done a tonne of that.. he knew he did not own the properties.. and or his description of how safe the investment was 

I mean we all nailed him day one a few years ago when the first threads were started.. just fantasy.. you either Believe Jim Wise videos and the savage nature of those assets or you believe Morris how great D F class is to own and get rich on. 

Originally posted by @Dennis M. :

What about all the satisfied doctors nurses and principles that Clayton says he rents to ?

I suspect the only “doctor” Clayton rents to is a rapper named dr. ice tray who drinks pruno toilet wine on the porch of his Morris invest crack house .

lol now that's just plain savage.

Originally posted by @Joe Marshall:

@James Wise

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations...

Here is a clickable link to the USA today article

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2019/03/26/fox-and-friends-clayton-morris-investment-real-estate-scheme/3275317002/

Youre a smarter man than me lol

In the NY article CM claimed to have investors who he delivered on his promise and are happy as a clam. I have yet to find any. Believe me I've tried very hard this past year. It's like looking for a unicorn. Or maybe there are still hundreds who still don't know what's going on because their rents are still rolling in. Even someone who made a testimonial video about his business is suing him.

Originally posted by @Patrick Shawn Faherty :

MorrisInvest is still posting and pumping out Podcasts...?

Well I think he can do that until he gets a formal Cease and desist from the govmit..  I doubt U tube is following his trials and tribulations.

But if you google his name all these articles are front and center this is the first time when one search reveals all. Before you had to hunt for it.. and the investors finally got wise and started posting on Rip off report not even Clayton can bury those. 

Wow. Just wow.

Tomorrow, another thread will be started asking which markets an out of state investor ought to invest in.

Sigh.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here