• Investor
  • Vashon, WA
Votes |
Property line dispute

Zena McCoy
  • Investor
  • Vashon, WA
Posted May 24 2019, 18:08

I just got a phone call from the next door neighbor of my rental house. He told me he had a survey done and the fence that is diving our property is in the wrong place and needs to be moved over 5ft in his favor. He already bought some trees and wants to start planting them on the “new” property line tomorrow. He just emailed me the survey, however it says it is from 1998. When I called him back asking why is the survey dated from 1998. He says that he got the survey done then and nothing has changed that the surveyors came out 2months ago marked the corners and didn’t want to charge him for a new survey map. This seems odd to me. My tenant confirmed a lady did come out and measured.

I did not get a survey when I bought the property 3 yrs ago so I am not sure where exactly the line is. I just assumed it was where the fence is.

He says it is his right to plant the trees on his property tomorrow even if he has to come on my side of the fence. I plan on calling the company that did the survey but they are not open till Monday.

I am not sure what to do. Let him plant tomorrow or call the cops if he starts planting. I don’t want to create bad blood with the neighbor.

Any suggestions? Also is there any other way I confirm where the property line? I assume I will have to get my own survey but that can’t happen by tomorrow.

Loading replies...