• Marshfield, MA
Votes |
How to Make a Phone Call

Derek Morrison
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Marshfield, MA
Posted Jul 15 2019, 14:49

So there's a property I'm looking into purchasing. I sent the seller's agent an Email just saying that I was interested in the property, and they wrote back asking if I'd be free sometime soon to talk. The problem is, I'm new and have no idea what to say or ask during the call. I know this question is probably very broad, but do you have any general advice?

User Stats

Votes
Seth Ferguson
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Replied Jul 15 2019, 15:00

Suggestion #1 is to act normal.

You'll want to sit down before hand and think of all the details you will need to make an educated decision on the property. Write these down so you don't forget. Also be prepared to talk about yourself and your experience.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Heimsoth
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Jul 15 2019, 15:02

@Derek Morrison I would learn more before you do any phone calls

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Seth Ferguson
Votes |
Replied Jul 15 2019, 15:07

@Caleb Heimsoth Everyone's first phone call sucks...but it's somewhere to start! Learn by doing.

User Stats

Votes
Derek Morrison
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Marshfield, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Marshfield, MA
Replied Jul 15 2019, 15:21
Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

@Derek Morrison I would learn more before you do any phone calls

Well here's the thing, I'm not sure what I need to learn, so I'm not sure where to even begin. I've read several books on investing from BP but I don't know where to go from here

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • North Providence, RI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • North Providence, RI
Replied Jul 16 2019, 01:12

@Derek Morrison you should have a buyers agent representing you, and to do all of the talking for you. I’d be glad to assist and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
Miranda Hernandez
  • Lubbock, Tx
Votes |
  • Lubbock, Tx
Replied Aug 16 2019, 15:17

When looking to buy a property you need to know your exit strategy first. Once you know that, you can research more specific ways on talking to a seller (or their agent) about the property and getting the information you need. 
Confidence is also key. Even if you are unsure of what to say. Don't just say the first thing that comes to mind but think for a second and if you need to do more research, just let say you will look into whatever it is you are talking about and move onto the next subject. You just have to make sure you set up the conversation right.

Definitely know what you are wanting to do with the property first and know your numbers very well.