• Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Vehicles Left At Property - Chattanooga

Alex Washburn
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Posted Aug 1 2019, 19:33

Hello... My husband and I close on what will be our first long term rental in Chattanooga Tennessee on the 9th of August.

Walking through the house today I saw someone's work ID laying on a desk so I took a picture of it to google later. Turns out the person whom the ID belongs too was arrested in May for Domestic Assault. I also believe this person is the owner and driver of the big rig parked in the driveway (yes, a semi truck).

There are 3 vehicles total parked at the property that haven't moved at all in 2 weeks and I assume one of the regular cars belongs to the truck driver.

Has anyone experienced taking ownership of a property in Chattanooga with vehicles on it? If given appropriate notice to move the vehicles after we take ownership and the vehicles are not moved (one is inside the garage) do the vehicles eventually become ours? 

The other 2 vehicles are not cheap cars either and all 3 together would probably be worth more than we paid for the house. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Aug 1 2019, 19:52

Any unauthorized vehicles not on the contract I will contact police or traffic for possible violation on private property getting it out of your premise. before it is officially  It needs to be recorded contacted by the title company, I suggest you post a note on the window and your contact information. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Washburn
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 1 2019, 20:00

I don't think they are currently un-authorized vehicles. I believe the owner(s) of the vehicles are relatives of the owner of the house and them being in jail would explain why they haven't moved. But - obviously once we take possession of the house they will no longer be authorized. We are having the selling agent tell the seller the vehicles need to be moved by the closing date. 

Right now my plan is to run DMV checks on the cars to see who the owners are to hopefully serve proper notice? I'm unsure what to do if the the registered owner of any of the vehicles is verifiably incarcerated. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Washburn
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 2 2019, 09:58

Update: The semi truck and the two non-commerial vehicles were all owned by the person who owned the house and were all transfered to the same estate.

We are contemplating a cash offer for the three vehicles as a gamble... We have no idea what the truck could be worth or how old it is. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrea Williams
  • Anniston, AL
Votes |
  • Anniston, AL
Replied Aug 2 2019, 10:05

Hi Alex. I work at an automotive dealership (have for 7 years). I would be happy to help you try to get an idea of how much the vehicles are worth.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Levredge
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 5 2019, 09:10

Since you've already found out your answer on ownership, were you to take over a property with vehicles parked in the yard, etc., you can post 72 hour notices on front, back and both sides of the vehicles and take pictures of them.  Once 72 hours has passed you can have them towed and the owner would be responsible for paying the towing and storage fees.  Usually, there's a pretty good reason why they are sitting there and it's generally not worth the time to try and get title on them.  

User Stats

Votes
Heath M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied Aug 11 2019, 17:51

Yeah I agree, post and then have them towed.  That’s more drama than you want to deal with.  Good luck and congrats on the rental!