PRO RATION OF PROPERTY TAX ON A HOUSE I AM RESELLING

3 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I have a question,I am going purchase a single family home in Florida in about one week around august 15th,on the eventuality that I resale it and have it sold 2 months after,So I had possession of the house for 2 months, is it correct and safe to say that I will only owe 2 months of property taxes? I am basically trying to understand property tax wise how much I will have to pay if I keep the house only 2 months

Thank you

Yes.  Since you are buying in August, and property taxes are paid at the end of the year, you will get a credit for the time the current owner owned the property during 2019.....same thing happens when you sell.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

Yes.  Since you are buying in August, and property taxes are paid at the end of the year, you will get a credit for the time the current owner owned the property during 2019.....same thing happens when you sell.

Thank you for another response.. but if I resell it on February 1st what would happen normally?

also would there be a way to be forced to pay the full year even though you owned the property for 1months or similar depending on when you buy and when you resale into the calendar?

All the best