• Florida
Votes |
Should I Fix and Flip OR BRRRR

Chase Maher
  • Investor
  • Florida
Posted Aug 23 2019, 13:42

What's up BP!

I mostly do wholesaling and rentals w/ some flips and retail deals here in San Diego... however easy cosmetic deals I flip or BRRRR. As we get further and further in this market cycle I am wondering on every flip/BRRRR which avenue I should go down. Take the flip profits now, or BRRRR with a great interest rate and some cash flow... doesn't keep me up at night bc both options are great, however I want to maximize my time and profits.

For any multi-units I am heavy in the BRRRR category, but I have a couple San Diego condo deals I am in contract on now and curious the thoughts from BP on which route is better... and I typically don't like holding condos long term due to the HOA and the low ceiling on cash flow, but another perspective I have heard is how easy they are as a rental.

I got in to this for long term wealth #1 and short term profits #2... just an FYI.

Condo #1:

*This deal is under contract and ready to close in a few weeks using HM at 85% of PP and 100% of Rehab with 9/2.

PP: $155,000

Rehab: $30,000 - $32,000

ARV: $260,000 with upside as nothing has sold in building in 2 years

HOA: $300 a mo

Rental: $1750-$1800

PITI w/ HOA from Refi ~ $1,500

Minimal Vacancy

BRRRR Pros: In a predominantly rental area, can 100% BRRRR and hold for $250-$300 a mo cash flow.

Flip Pros: I'm licensed so it'll only cost me about 4% cost of sale

Condo #2: 

*This deal is in negotiations with bank for Short Sale using HM at 85% of PP and 100% of Rehab with 9/2.

PP: $150,000 - $200,000 (Discrepancy because we are negotiating... starting at 150k, closer to 200k will lean me towards flip vs BRRRR)

Rehab: $28,000 - $30,000

ARV: $295,000

HOA: $388 a mo

Rental: $1800

PITI w/ HOA from Refi ~ $1,600 or less, depending on purchase price/refi price

Minimal Vacancy, Brand new hospital being build walking distance, less cash flow but better area than Condo #1

BRRRR Pros: In a predominantly rental area, can 100% BRRRR and hold for $200-$300 a mo cash flow.

Flip Pros: I'm licensed so it'll only cost me about 4% cost of sale

---

TL;DR - Are condos good for BRRRR or better to flip and keep my rentals as multis or high cash flow SFR's

User Stats

Votes
Dan Heuschele
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Aug 23 2019, 14:35

Cash flow is not equal to rent - (PITI + HOA). There is vacancy, maintenance, cap ex, and misc. So both cash flow projection are at a minimum exaggerated and possibly cash flow negative (my conservative numbers would show both these as cash flow negative).

Does this mean I am against the BRRRR option? Not necessarily. In the long term San Diego will have long term appreciation above the inflation rate and you listed as your #1 goal long term wealth. Depending on what your view of the long term outlook for San Diego RE would dictate what is the correct choice for you.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Chase Maher
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Florida
Replied Aug 23 2019, 15:32

I understand that, have other rentals and am aware of the expenses... however with completely remodeled properties, especially with a condo, I'd imagine expenses are very low. I should have included that though, so I will make an edit. Thanks

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes