Buying a sibling out of the long time family home

3 Replies

Years ago I was put on the deed to my mothers home while I was living in it. It was 50% each, tenants in common. My sister came in the picture and she was put on the deed. It was me 50%, mom and sister each 25%. In a family agreement notarized with all 3 parties in the event of death or severe illness I get to buy out my sister at fair market value. She does not get to by me out. My mother now has a severe illness and in a nursing home permanently. Due to that my sister has 50% now on the deed. My sister now wants to keep the house and she has no means to buy me out. My husband and I own a home and can buy her out easily. Would the notarized family agreement hold up in court if she refuses to let me buy her out?

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500

Philip, I have 6 children in a 3 bedroom house right now. The other house i'm 50% with is 6 bedrooms, with a add on with separate kitchen living quarters. I have two disabled adult sons who get some nursing care. I really need the rooms and space for them LONG TERM.