Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Letitia Glenn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Votes |
Should I do a deal via a quitclaim deed?

Letitia Glenn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Posted Aug 24 2019, 13:24

I am selling a property and buyer wants to do a quick deal paying cash and do the deal with a quitclaim deed, and stated using my attorney was fine. I am new to real estate, and never done a deal like this before. Is this advisable and what do I need to watch out for?

User Stats

Votes
Richard Sherman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salem, OR
Votes |
  • Salem, OR
Replied Aug 24 2019, 15:15

The risk is to them not to you, so sure, that would be fine.  Just make sure NO DEED until all monies are paid.  For that reason I would probably use escrow to at least transact the deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 24 2019, 17:35

@Letitia Glenn I would still check for liens and everything title search it good!! Don’t just go to the recorder or deeds CYA cover your ***

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lynnette E.
  • Tennessee
Votes |
  • Tennessee
Replied Aug 24 2019, 18:43

I am not a real trusting type of a person.  I would ask why?  He has no guaranteed title and likely will be unable to get title insurance when he sells...depending on the location of the property.

So the why answer, I would think, leads to a money concern.  Is he trying to laundry dirty money?  Scam you will a fake certified check or fake cash or wire fraud?  Even if you take a certified check to the bank and they verify its good, they can say it was not good a month later.

Make sure the money goes fully through escrow, even the deposit!

User Stats

Votes
Letitia Glenn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Replied Aug 26 2019, 14:45

Thanks for all the replies. Lynnette, you've now officially scared me! regarding using an escrow account, I am not using one because I don't have one. I was going to have the buyer transfer the money to my regular account. Is this not a good idea? I feel like I'm missing something important.

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Aug 26 2019, 15:01
Originally posted by @Letitia Glenn:

Thanks for all the replies. Lynnette, you've now officially scared me! regarding using an escrow account, I am not using one because I don't have one. I was going to have the buyer transfer the money to my regular account. Is this not a good idea? I feel like I'm missing something important.

your attorney has an escrow account let him handle the funds and execute the quitclaim after funds have cleared

User Stats

Votes
Letitia Glenn
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Lakeland, TN
Replied Aug 27 2019, 07:23

Thank you so much!