Mobile Home valuation

3 Replies

A neighbor is selling a used doublewide mobile home.  I thought for the right price it would be a good investment.  I have a vacant lot that I could set it up on and rent it out.  It does need quite a bit of work to make it acceptable to rent.  How do you place a value on a used doublewide mobile home?

Find comps by calling around local mobile home sales places. There is a starting number.

Then add the maintenance, then the moving and setup. See if the deal still makes sense. 

If your lot isn’t setup for a mobile home now, it may be expensive and have permitting issues.

I strive for $400-500 minimum cash flow on my mobile home deals. That is after all expenses.  There are just to many variables working against you to do it for less. 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
If you're interested in investing in mobile homes, you would probably be better off finding one already set up on a property. I had a mobile moved once and I paid more for the move than I did for the mobile. Also, if you have to have a well and septic, don't forget to budget for that as it could run another $10k or more.