I was offered a job selling real estate at a resort...

6 Replies

I do door to door sales.Long story short this older guy who happens to own a resort offered me to sell real estate there. I told him im working on my license still. About to finish the course. He said I would get 6% commission and the average property is 2 million. I am a bit confused because I can't comprehend selling property at a resort. Isn't the 6% split between the buyer and seller? Does it work different because its at a resort? I took his card. Thoughts?

This is a great opportunity to use high pressure sales tactics on people who don't really want what you are selling. The buyer has no representation in what you are talking about. The salesmen are under high pressure, so they use high pressure on the buyers, who don't have representation in the transaction. 

Originally posted by @Anthony Dooley:

This is a great opportunity to use high pressure sales tactics on people who don't really want what you are selling. The buyer has no representation in what you are talking about. The salesmen are under high pressure, so they use high pressure on the buyers, who don't have representation in the transaction. 

huh? This doesn't really make sense.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor
I apologize. When you say resort property, I was visualizing a time-share or similar product. These are usually high pressure situations and the buyers have no agent to advise them in the transaction. I am sure that you are talking about a completely different type of resort sales job. Best wishes.

@Account Closed normally the commission is paid by the seller to the agent. If there is an agent representing the buyer, the selling agent splits the commission with the buyers agent.

In most if not all states as an agent you work for a broker. The broker will take a cut of your commission. 

Originally posted by @Garth Mackendel:

I do door to door sales.Long story short this older guy who happens to own a resort offered me to sell real estate there. I told him im working on my license still. About to finish the course. He said I would get 6% commission and the average property is 2 million. I am a bit confused because I can't comprehend selling property at a resort. Isn't the 6% split between the buyer and seller? Does it work different because its at a resort? I took his card. Thoughts?

How good are you at finding leads, networking, relating to people who have the money to buy a $2 million dollar vacation home?  Do you have a lot of multimillionaire friends?

How good are you at closing sales?

My guess is that you will do a ton of work, likely not earn a dime as you work for commissions, and a professional closer will be the one that goes out to the fancy dinner and event to close the deals and earn the commission.  Just a guess!