Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Justin Dao
  • Investor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
2% property tax in Indianapolis eating cash flow?

Justin Dao
  • Investor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Posted Sep 25 2019, 15:54

Hey all,

I’ve been looking into purchasing a few properties in Indianapolis, however I haven’t had much luck lately finding cash flowing deals. I’ve heard that in Indianapolis, property tax is 1% for owner occupied and 2% for investment properties, and that difference could be up to $100/mo. It seems like deals that meet the ballpark “1% rule” cash flow negatively, or are extremely thin deals because of this.

Has anyone had any similar experiences they'd like to share? Am I being too conservative with the expense calculations? I assume 10% of rent goes to repairs and maintenance, 5% goes to CapEx, 8% due to vacancy, and 10% to property management. The rest is utilities, insurance, etc.

What do you think?

User Stats

Votes
Tchaka Owen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Merritt Island, FL
Replied Sep 25 2019, 16:03

@Justin Dao - it's often better to err on the side of conservative. That said, you could get by with reducing repairs to the 5-7% range and vacancy down to 5%. Other than that, you appear to be calculating correctly. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Martinez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cypress, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cypress, CA
Replied Sep 26 2019, 09:18

Hi @Justin Dao

I just purchased a SFR in Indianapolis. You are correct about the 2% property taxes. I will be paying around $1400~ annually for this. Which honestly isn't that bad at all.

Cap Ex, it depends how renovated your property is. For example, if you're purchasing a total fixer upper than you can lower that Cap Ex rate because you will be fixing the roof, HVAC, furnace, etc before you get it rented. 

Vacancy: Sounds about right, but once again it depends where you are purchasing and if your rent is priced right. I purchased in an area with 3 schools within one mile of the house, good area as well. The house rented in 6 days including the time it took to review and accept the applicant. 

Insurance: This will vary, there are so many variables that come into play: flood zones, neighborhood crime, claims, condition, home security, pools, trampolines, age of house... etc. As low as $600 and as high as $2000.

I hope this helped. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Dao
  • Investor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Replied Sep 26 2019, 09:20

@Jason Martinez Appreciate the response. I’d love to ask you a few questions, can I PM you?

Thanks!