Moving to Sacramento

25 Replies

Aloha BP community,

I will be relocating from Hawaii to Sacramento early next year and will be looking to purchase a multi with my VA loan. Any suggestions on where to look/buy in the greater Sacramento area? I would prefer close to the airport as I will be working there 5 days a week, but it definitely doesn't have to be. This would be my first attempt at real estate investing.

Also, I’d love to meet with people in the area so any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Mahalo in advance!

@Bronson Teixeira Hi Bronson, I broker multifamily properties, but don't sell anything less than 5 units where you're VA loan would come into play. That being said, I'm still happy to help guide you on locations to pay attention to or stay away from. Feel free to DM me so we can stay in touch. Safe travels coming to Sacramento!

Kenny Reimer

@Bronson Teixeira Hello from Sacramento there isn’t many multi families close to the airport. There is a lot of new construction near the airport, but about 20 minutes away from the airport there are some multi families. They definitely need some TLC and not the best neighborhood those are going for like 300k right now. There are more deeper in Sacramento but they are priced over 400k. I would love to help you find something! I have been wanting to invest in multi family homes myself just haven’t had the funds.

Hi Bronson, I thought people were moving from Sac to Hawaii??    North of Sac would be a decent area to look at and wouldn't be all that far from the airport.  Lots of growth there (lots of growth everywhere really in Sacramento area).

@Bronson Teixeira I have lived and invested in the Sacramento area for many decades. You can send me a pm on areas and current values of those areas. Since your working at the airport, you can look into moving to woodland if you want to live in a small town plus lower prices. I am also a mortgage broker in case you have questions about VA mortgage rates.

Towards the Natomas area.  Pull up Sacramento on google maps, north of the American River you will see S Natomas, N Natomas, find The Promenade, Arena Blvd.  All areas where money has/is going into (future growth of Sacramento area).

Hey Bronson, my wife and I invest in Auburn currently and we may buy another and relocate into Sacramento. Were looking in Midtown or east Sacramento. I'll second woodland if you are into small town life. Lot of growth here. We bought on FHA just over a year ago. It was competitive and tough to find a property that would take a loan program. We didn't stand a chance against the cash buyers in Sacramento. We found a great place just outside of town where there is less competition to work with us. That is where woodland might be the answer. Finding cashflow is also not easy. Keep me posted!

@Bronson Teixeira I am in Natomas. I had a home in South Natomas but sold it and moved into North Natomas. It’s a great area, central to the airport and midtown with lots of room for growth and expansion. There is a ton of new construction being built, but it all all single family homes, townhouses, and apartments. I haven’t seen any multi families in the area, though I wish there was, I would scoop one up immediately.

Originally posted by @Bronson Teixeira :

@Neil He Hi Neil, thanks for the info. What do you think about Natomas and other areas closer to the airport?

That would a good spot but I don't think you are going to find many multifams there. Adding to the complexity, there are pockets of good and bad in Sac which could make something close to Natomas a undesirable hood. We rented when we first moved here to get a lay of the land. That also helped us open our options so we could make right investment decision too.  Working west you have farms. East you have Rio linda an north highlands. I don't know every block, but there are places that I wouldn't let my kids run around alone.

Originally posted by @Gordon Cuffe :

@Bronson Teixeira I have lived and invested in the Sacramento area for many decades. You can send me a pm on areas and current values of those areas. Since your working at the airport, you can look into moving to woodland if you want to live in a small town plus lower prices. I am also a mortgage broker in case you have questions about VA mortgage rates.

Hi Gordon. I'm looking to buy an investment property in the Sacramento area also, you suggest Woodland?

Hey @Bronson Teixeira im a RE agent and investor here in Sacramento and can give you a little insight to the area. Let me know how I can help I will PM you my #

Originally posted by @Yaohua Li :

@Neil He Could you elaborate on what are potentially bad about (South) Natoma? I am interested in there but would love to know more.

Only that there are not many multifamily properties available for sale in natomas it is a new single family neighborhood. My point was that there are many more properties just down the road, in say, north highlands which is impoverished. Assuming you may not want this.

@Tommy Vincent Old North Sac in the Del Paso Heights area isn't fantastic. I would call it D property. The Woodlake area is a small step up, but you're going to have intensive management up there. The returns appear to be attractive compared to the rest of Sacramento, but don't let it fool you. I feel as though you would get nickeled and dimed with evictions and tenants trashing the units. Send me a DM of what you're looking for in the area and I can give you a bit more specific advice. Hope this helps!

I had a VA loan, I would only look at multi-family properties. While you likely won't find many in Natomas (super close to the airport), Midtown and South Land Park are not far from the airport. Traffic on the 5 from those areas north to the airport, on the WORST days, makes it a 30-40 minute trip. Generally its 15-20. So I would find a great property and deal with the commute, it's not bad at all. Please feel free to DM if you have any specific neighborhood questions!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here