Up and coming cities to build a rental portfolio

66 Replies

Hello All,

I am a realtor from southern california and managed to save funds and am looking to invest out of state. Ive been googling what cities to look out for where my money can go a long way and bring a return. I would appreciate if anyone o can tell me what cities you are currently investing in and any other ones i should have my eye on. I thank you in advance for taking the time out of your busy day to help me!

@David Iniguez  

Personally, I like Pueblo West, CO. It's substantially cheaper than the rest of the state, has great healthcare, warm weather year-round, great mountain views, several golf courses, low taxes, and a huge reservoir for boating/fishing. I'm working with several builders/investors down there on a number of projects and am looking to have a duplex built for myself there next year. It's a great place for retirees (A LOT are coming from California and other expensive markets). 

Originally posted by @Daniel Haberkost :

@David Iniguez 

Personally, I like Pueblo West, CO. It's substantially cheaper than the rest of the state, has great healthcare, warm weather year-round, great mountain views, several golf courses, low taxes, and a huge reservoir for boating/fishing. I'm working with several builders/investors down there on a number of projects and am looking to have a duplex built for myself there next year. It's a great place for retirees (A LOT are coming from California and other expensive markets). 

I appreciate that very much i will do some research! Right now i have my eyes on Birmingham and Montgomery Alabama as well as memphis. I will be checking out pueblo west thank you!

 

Originally posted by @Robb Colley :

My team specializes in the Montgomery Single Family & Multifamily market. Let me know if we answer any questions about the market.

Hi Rob, Lets connect.I need a strong agent in the area. How can i contact you?

 

@David Iniguez I am an investor down here in Montgomery, AL and would love to chat with you about the market. PM me and I can share some more info about the city and what kind of price points/returns to expect.

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Carly Stewart :

When I first got my start, I was also struggling to figure out where to buy out of state as my home city (Chicago) was too expensive.

Realizing there was a need for this information, I partnered with others to develop Real Data Genius, a platform that allows real estate investors to find new cities and to get data on the markets they are considering.

I think it could be extremely helpful for you as you are trying to find an area to invest in. The Find a City feature, which is completely free, allows you to filter for cities based on key data points such as average rent, rental percentage, rental vacancy rate. You can also get detailed data (housing market, rental market, demographics, etc.) for any cities that end up on your short list.

I went to the website. How is the Find a City feature free? The only option I see to sign up is to choose one of the 3 paid memberships

 

This post has been removed.

@David Iniguez you'd want to look to OKC for a stability/cash flow play. It will appreciate it, but very slowly. That's not to say it's not on the rise, just a slow rise! 

However, because it doesn't have big peaks it won't have big drops in recession. Especially in our B and C class areas, our rentals hold their rent rates through downturns. So, you're looking at solid long term rentals, long term cash flow and in 15 years you can cash out! 

Next week (Per My Mentor) I'll have the green light to reach out to buyers looking for value add properties. The subject property is located in a HIGHLY Desirable area. And I'm direct to seller/owner of record. 

Hey David! I am currently investing in my local area of Newport News, VA and it's surrounding cities. I am noticing a lot of new businesses' coming into the downtown area and seems as if the path of progress will head that way! There seem to be quite a few lots for sale to build or foreclosures in the area to renovate and rent or sell as that area cleans up!

Originally posted by @Charles M. :

Next week (Per My Mentor) I'll have the green light to reach out to buyers looking for value add properties. The subject property is located in a HIGHLY Desirable area. And I'm direct to seller/owner of record. 

Hi Charles i would love some more information please PM me.

 

Originally posted by @Preslie Hicks :

Hey David! I am currently investing in my local area of Newport News, VA and it's surrounding cities. I am noticing a lot of new businesses' coming into the downtown area and seems as if the path of progress will head that way! There seem to be quite a few lots for sale to build or foreclosures in the area to renovate and rent or sell as that area cleans up!

Hi Preslie, I appreciate the insight! are you seeing any multi family or apartments in pre foreclosure ?

 

Originally posted by @David Iniguez :
Originally posted by @Charles M.:

Next week (Per My Mentor) I'll have the green light to reach out to buyers looking for value add properties. The subject property is located in a HIGHLY Desirable area. And I'm direct to seller/owner of record. 

Hi Charles i would love some more information please PM me.

 

Sure 

 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here