Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Sandra Smith
  • New to Real Estate
  • Pittsburgh PA
Votes |
Buying a home on auction slighly macabre question...

Sandra Smith
  • New to Real Estate
  • Pittsburgh PA
Posted Nov 14 2019, 10:03

Hello all.   So yes this is a macabre type of question but I thought I would ask.   We are considering purchasing a property on forclosure.  After some due diligence in researching the property and previous owner it was determined they had passed away in the home.   As unfortunate as that is, and under normal circumstances of a natural passing that was attended we were not turned off by the deal. Many people pass in a home.   Here is where it gets interesting.

With more research we delved deeper into our search as to be sure we knew what we were getting into.  Oddly we continue to hit some dead ends in terms of unanswered questions.    Web searching lead us further  into sketchy unanswered territory how the individual passed.   Diedinhouse.com did not have a record of the death.   As a last ditch effort we checked with local authorities for police reports etc on the property.  I was told  not much had come up on the home.  With a little more pressing I asked if an unattended death needs to be recorded as a police report.  I was told there was a report however by privacy laws not much info could be released other then one family member was the last to see them.  Obit stated he died suddenly in the home.  No charities etc.

We are in love with the property but not the potential history and knowledge of how long the deceased was on the property. In our state one does not have to disclose a death and as an auction purchase you are buying the property as is history and all.   Have any of you experienced this in your home auction purchases?    I understand many of you might be flippers without the intent to live in the property so perhaps the history is not as much value as it would be to someone looking to live in it. 

Loading replies...