Tips on negotiating with family

1 Reply

I currently don’t have any rental properties but there is a duplex that I’d like to buy. My great aunt owned the property and when she passed it went to two of her daughters, one of her daughters live in the same town as me (we live in Ky) the other lives in Alaska. The building has been vacant for years but it’s a brick building it it looks like the structure is good, I’m pretty sure the only work that needs to be done is updating the inside. Any tips on how I can get this property from my family?

@William Rorer sounds like could be a good opportunity. Vacant buildings that have been sitting for a while can have several problems but that can be made as an argument of why someone should sell. The first step is an obvious one. Ask both daughters what their plans are for the property and if they would be interested in selling. If so. Write up a contract and work toward a closing. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here