Questions about turning a primary residence in to a rental

2 Replies

We are buying a new home and will be turning our primary residence in to a rental property. I have the following questions, thanks for any help in answering them!

1. We have taken the home office deduction each year, how will this affect turning it to a rental? Or, no affect at all?

2. We bought a new HVAC system that we still owe some money on (0% interest so decided payments were better). Can we start taking the payments as a deduction in any way once this officially is rented?

3. After we officially move to the new home, can all maintenance and any repair all be deducted?

4. Any other things I need to factor in to changing a primary residence to a rental?

@Therese V. congrats. 

1. No, you will not be able to claim this against the rental but you can claim against your new primary residence. 

2. Yes, you can claim it as maintenance/repairs/upgrades - I'm pretty sure, but check with your CPA

3. Yes, as allowed. 

4. Insurance, make sure you change your rental's policy from a homeowner's policy to a rental dwelling policy. Update your billing (and really everything) to new address or go paperless the last thing your tenant needs to see is your mortgage statement. If the property is in an HOA/COA notify them.

And.... remember.  If you ever hope to get out of the first home you’ll need to do it in less than three so as to not pay a gain later.  Sometimes it’s worth it to do that and take the cash to invest elsewhere.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here