• Orange County, CA
Votes |
Single Family or Multi-Family??

Aaron Weitzman
  • Wholesaler
  • Orange County, CA
Posted Aug 6 2020, 16:23

Hello BP friends!

My business partner and I are relatively new to the investing world and are on the hunt for our first property. I have been spending every moment I can devouring every book, podcast, forum post, and anything else that mentions the words "Real Estate". With every market I research and deal I analyze, this little voice in my head grows louder. The voice is telling me, "You're wasting your time with SFR's."

We have the capital, and we have the risk tolerance. Which makes me then ask the question, should we just jump into apartment complexes? I've been reading numerous books on the topic as well so that I'm not a total newbie, although I'm as close to it as they come. I don't see the value in spending an equal amount of time searching for the needle in the haystack house in the grand hopes of cash-flowing $100-500 with current market conditions. I understand that the acquisition and management of an apartment complex is, well, more complex. At this point when I take the economies of scale into account, the only benefit I see for an SFR is the practice of going through the entire purchase process.

Not to discredit the value of first-hand education.  I was the valedictorian at the school of hard knocks, and sometimes I feel like I've never left.  I just can't shake the feeling that I'd be wasting my time going for anything less than a 10-unit at the absolute smallest.  

So, now that my near nonsensical rambling is complete, here's the real question of the post.

If you didn't have a capital barrier to entry, would you pursue larger multi-unit properties over SFR's?

If you've read this, far, I thank you very much and look forward to seeing some insightful feedback!

Loading replies...