Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Richard Clark
  • Investor
  • PA, OH
Votes |
Hoarder House Nugget Find. Who Owns the Stock?

Richard Clark
  • Investor
  • PA, OH
Posted Aug 11 2020, 07:29

I purchased a hoarder home back in Nov of 2019. It was packed and as you would expect, was so full there were 'trails' through the trash to get into each room. Two 30-yard and one 10-yard dumpster later on a 1100 sqft house, I came upon some old Walt Disney Paper Stock Certificates totaling 300-shares. They were dated from 1998 and are original with the seals so they are legit.

The language on the back of the certificate appears to indicate some significance as to ownership by way of possession and since I purchased the house and its contents, I would expect to be the owner of it all.

I tried finding the owner as named on the certificate and I know he is no longer with us. I just don't have any documentation yet to prove it but I'm working on it. I purchased the house from another investor who purchased it from the son of the original owner who died. So I do know for a fact that there are no heirs to the estate so these are totally unclaimable by anyone. 

So I'm already having my attorney look into it but was wondering if anyone else has had this or a similar experience? 

Disney stock is trading at $131 so this is potentially a $39K bonus if I can convert them. 

Thoughts? 

Loading replies...