Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Maynard
Votes |
FHA Issue: Sole Owner Used QCD to ADD a Joint Owner ~30 days ago

Andrew Maynard
Posted Aug 12 2020, 08:53

HELP! I'm under contract to buy a multi-family where the current owner (8 years) used a quitclaim deed to ADD a joint owner 30 days ago. We're fully negotiated and ready to sign the purchase and sale TODAY, but the current owner(s) signed a quitclaim a little over a month ago to clarify ownership and my lender just indicated that it could be a problem (they are researching now, no official word yet).  The QCD was meant to add a joint owner, the original sole owner is now a joint owner.  

Background on the property - 2 family, purchased by the joint owners together, but only one person was listed on the deed.  They have lived together in both units of that home for the 8 years it was owned.  The QCD was signed with the best intentions, essentially meant to officially ink the joint ownership that was presumed throughout the entire 8 year period.  

Does that action of ADDING a joint owner (original owner still on deed) trigger the 90 day FHA rule? Ownership was augmented, not transferred, which is where I think the exception could lie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Loading replies...