Out of state virginia property subject to?

5 Replies

A coworker approached me Friday about giving his property back to the bank. I asked a few questions and found he is current on mortgage and no longer wants to pay for this property and where he currently resides. This property is in richmond Virginia. He told me that it needs some fixing up to rent out (a realtor told him). He also thinks he is $20000 upside down. I haven't looked much further into it yet because I'm not sure what and how I can help except maybe give him a contact. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can only think of doing sub2 and rent (if it cash flows) or he does a short sale (which I doubt because talking to him he just wants to be done paying for it). Should I look further into it for sub2? Anyone know anything about richmond? If I did sub2 and it is out of state what would I have to do legally do protect myself differently from an in state property?

Jon

There are professional short sale negotiators that will pay you for that lead.

would a lease option be a possibility? your coworker remains the owner, you (your llc) lease the property from him, fix it up or whatever, and you find and manage the renter. renter pays you rent , you pay your coworker the monthly lease, and coworker continues to pay his mortgage. this works if your coworker is looking to rent and not take out another mortgage for a new place.

I would never improve a house on lease option, buy it on sub2 first, Richmond is a major va market.

Why would u buy an underwater house????

Thanks all for the advice. I'm interested in exploring the options for the seller and what options I may have I would consider something like this. It is the first something like this has came my way. This is why I ask before before commuting to something I don't know anything about.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here